Thursday, April 11, 2013

Homemade Gifts

This past Christmas I decided to try and make all my own gifts, and definitely bit off more than I could chew. After sewing for days and days, I realized that the best decision is to make something AND buy something. I've had so many people ask me to make them a quilt, and while I'm extremely flattered that they'd like one from me, I don't think people realize how much work it takes. I know I didn't, that's for damn sure. I will get around to making quilts for all my friends and family members, someday, but right now, I think little homemade gifts will do! :)

Anyways, one of my very near and dear friends, Ramona, had a birthday this past month and I wanted to make her something special! Ramona is one of the best gift givers I've ever known. I always tease her and say that I'm just trying to live up to her gifts, because every gift I've ever received from her was AMAZINGLY perfect! Seriously. I need to know her secret to gift giving!

So this year I was a little stumped on what to get her! Her birthday was during March madness (quilting madness that is) when I made the quilt for my extra bedroom. So I was trying to make probably 4 gifts at once. So, we were texting one night, and her gift hit me! (I'm really not making up these epiphanies, they really do come out of left field.) See, Ramona is moving back to her home state of Texas and she just bought a house and we were texting about craft plans, and her gardening. I knew immediately what I wanted to do! So I ran to my sewing cabinet and scoured the fabrics. I bought some gray chevron fabric about a year ago now, and have been saving it for something special, and I knew Ramona's gift would be fab with this print.

So I made her a gardening apron to wear! I didn't follow any pattern, I just sort of went with it because I had something pictured in my mind, and it turned out fabulously if I don't say so myself!

I went to Target and found a pair of matching gloves and cute gardening tools. I also found some adorable copper colored herb markers and seeds. I placed the tools and gloves in the pockets of the apron and wrapped it up inside the apron, I wish I would have taken a picture of how I sent it off because it turned out perfectly! The apron strings were tied like a bow and my label was sitting perfectly on top!

Ramona loves it, and I couldn't be any happier! She is one of my best friends, and I miss her dearly! I can't wait to see what she does with her new home because I just know its going to be gorgeous!

Hope you enjoy the pictures of her fab gift!





1 comment:

  1. That is so adorable!! I definitely think people don't always realize how much time and effort goes into homemade gifts. I'm just starting sewing, but people always want me to crochet things and it's not as cheap and easy as people always think. Plus I have to work around my kids so it can take me longer than if I didn't have to worry about that!

    ReplyDelete