Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sewing Room Tour

One of my best girlfriends is coming out here this weekend to have a sewathon, and I couldn't be more excited! Of course I had to organize my entire sewing room for the big event, so I thought it was a perfect opportunity to share my sewing space with you all. I get a lot of questions from friends about my sewing room. I think the fact that I'm a 25 year old active person always makes people question how I sit down and sew for so long. The truth is, I have so many projects, and so much stuff that I NEED a whole room dedicated to sewing. Sometimes I look around and wonder how much money I've invested into a hobby, but then I realize, a lot, if not most of my stuff, is second hand, was free, or thrifted. Some people may think it's tacky, but that's my style (yes tacky!), and it made my hobby affordable. :)

Anyways, I apologize for the quality of these photos, my sewing room is so damn bright that I couldn't take good pictures with my iPhone or real camera. The lighting is great for sewing, not so good for pictures, but you can still see what I have to offer.

--------
This blue peg board is from Home Depot, they come in brown, but I wanted my whole craft room to be red and teal, so I had the husband spray paint it for me. It is probably the handiest damn thing in my whole craft room. It sits right next to my sewing machine so I can easily turn and grab whatever I need. I saw the idea on Pinterest and copied it immediately, like usual.

Here is my gorgeous little sewing table and do you see what I mean about the light? I love having my machine right up against the window to watch the people walk buy, but it's extremely bright! Anyways, I got this sewing table at the Salvation Army back in California. It originally was one of those hideaway sewing tables that the sewing machine collapses into and the table folds up. When I saw it, it was an ugly dark chocolate poop of a color, and had a sewing machine in it. We convinced the Salvo manager to take out the sewing machine, and sell us the table for $20! HA! My husband had 2 months off at the time (lucky right!?) so he sanded this whole thing down for me, and painted it at as well. It also had a huge gap in the top from where the old sewing machine was, so we covered that with a piece of plywood in my cherry print fabric that was real and teal and slapped it in there for my sewing machine to sit on. I'm embarrassed to admit that it was my husbands idea to cover it with fabric. He's more creative than I thought!


I can't believe I've never posted a picture of my sewing machine before! Here it is! My mom got it for me for Christmas - 2011, and it's probably my most favorite gift I've ever received. This is a great beginner machine because of the drop in bobbin. I will never sew on a side loading bobbin machine, ever.


I bought this lamp for my old sewing room because it was a lot darker than the one I am in now. It's an old school sort of California hipster lamp, I love it! It really serves n purpose now, but it's a friendly reminder of "home."

At the Long Beach Flea Market, I bought two of these crates and hung them on the wall as shelves. They're neat, and I can't remember what vegetable they say on the side, but they have something branded into the wood.

I love this little display! The old Kerr jar full of wooden spools is one of my favorites, and I made a ton of those pin cushion holders once, which are very handy! I keep my quilting safety pins in them! I think my mom scored that Jessup ruler on ebay, and I love the colors and it ties in perfectly with the Singer button holer that is on the right.

Here is my sewing chair. This chair was acquired from my old office... We had an old set of chairs laying around, so I brought one home, had the husband sand it, paint it, and redid the seat cushion into my cherry blossom print. I have two of these old California pillows in my house, they are also from the Long Beach Antique Flea Market, and the guy who made them told me they were made from old tablecloths (or so he said, most of those people are full of shit I think.)


Here is my handy dandy Cricut holder! I know I don't talk about my Cricut that much, but I DO use it. I cut out a lot of letters with it, and solid prints! It's the most amazing tool, I swear. I'm thinking about spray painting some furniture legs and adding it to this, but I'm not sure about that yet...


I took this picture before I cleaned up this area, so please disregard the mess! EEK! I always judge people who post pictures of their filthy homes on IG or FB, and here I am putting my dirty laundry on blast. BUT this is my cutting table, and it's fucking amazing. Once again, it's from the Long Beach FM, and it's on castors so it moves around, and the top part is actually from an old desk at an elementary school. It was a steal for like $30! The bottom area is what I call my "to do" pile. I throw stuff down there that I need to do, but I hate seeing messes, so I like to try to hide them from my line of crafting vision...

If you want to quilt, and no gouge out your eyes, you WILL invest in one of these. I LOVE IT! I usually fold my fabric into thirds, and then slice away like a mad woman. You can seriously cut like 24 squares in 30 seconds. This is probably the best thing I ever ordered from Joanns.

This was my Grandma's hoosier cabinet that she kept her fabric in. My grandma was the ultimate sewer, quilter, crafter, you name it. Her crafts make my crafts look like I'm in Kindergarten gluing macaroni to construction paper. Before we moved, my grandpa gave me this cabinet and it's probably the most sacred piece in my sewing room. I was SO worried that it would get damaged in the move, and it's probably the only thing that came out unscathed.
Hoosier cabinets were for baking, so this was for where you stored your flour. There's STILL flour in this thing, and from time to time, it falls out of the sifter, so I just leave it there because it makes me smile.


I have fabric in both of the top cabinets, and all of the pull out drawers are full of scraps.


This is one of my moms favorite quotes, and also one of mine. If it wasn't so long, I'd probably have it tattoo'd on me by now. How I made this was by using stencils and acrylic paint. I could actually swipe it all off and do another quote if I wanted, and I love that it's temporary. I used a sponge brush over the letters and used glass markers to mark off some lines so that I knew where I was going.


Here is my little sewing decor wall. I love that little embroidery hoop that just has simple fabric in it. My husband painted me a picture of a sewing machine, so I still have one more piece to add!


And of course the babies also have a custom bed for them in my room. If I didn't have that, they would lay alllllll over anything I lay down on the ground to measure or cut.


And that is my tour! Hopefully next week I'll have pictures of what it looks like right now! Side by side sewing machines, coffee, and wine. Sounds like some FUN this weekend!

5 comments:

  1. I love it! What's the thing from Joann's that you use to cut your fabric I want to look it up (= have fun with your BFF this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sewing room is so awesome! I only have a corner of our bedroom right now, but one day I'm demanding a craft room :) Also, I'm ordering that cutting board now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started off at my kitchen table, it's where I created my first quilt! Based on your first two projects, you don't need a whole room to whip out some amazing projects! I hope you like that cutting board!! It is a bit pricey, but I got it for 40% off with a coupon, and free shipping so it was totally worth it!

      Delete
  3. I went and found the board! It's perfect for a few projects I have coming up!! So much cheaper than buying all the acrylic squares in all the sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina!

      My blogger updates never told me that I had comments on anything, so I just found a ton of comments! I am sorry I didn't respond sooner! You HAVE to get that board. You are SO right, soooo much cheaper than buying all those squares! The squares do come in handy though, I use them a lot for measuring triangles, but this cutting board is sooo soooo worth it! Let me know how you like it!

      Delete