Sunday, September 1, 2013

I'd never named a boat before... - Oriental, North Carolina

Yesterday, I woke up and ran 4 miles through my neighborhood. I ran a slightly different route than I usually do. The next main street over from my neighborhood has horse stables. That road is the most beautiful road to run on, and it made me realize that I have not explored North Carolina enough! So I had 2 miles to run back home from the horses and think of something to do. I'd read about antique shops in a cute little town across the river  from us and decided that was where we were going to go. We could get there two different ways, drive an hour and go around to the big bridge that connects New Bern across the Neuse, or go near base and take the ferry across. We decided on the ferry.

The ferry runs every 30 minutes in both directions. We got there right at 11:40 and it was slated to leave in 5 minutes. I literally ran inside the information center for our tickets and the cutest old lady explained to me that the ferry was entirely free. FREE. Can you believe that!? It runs all day long and it's totally free? I still don't understand that...

They pack you into that ferry like a can of sardines. I had to crawl over the drivers seat to get out on the other side, which was a sight for the car next to us because my knit shorts exposed my ass as I climbed over. The old man next to us got a show for free that day!

On the ferry! 

Oriental is the "sailing capital of North Carolina" or so they say, hence the title of this post. I don't know what it is about NC that Dustin and I quote Forest Gump on the regular pretty much...


I just had to. Their fishing harbor was so neat, and the name of this boat was my favorite!!!


While googling things to do in Oriental, I found an old barn that you can go and do some picking at! If you don't know me personally, you have to understand that my husband is sort of a character. He watches American Pickers on the regular and bartering prices would probably be listed on his résumé. He was in hog heaven. While the place was fascinating. I realized that I prefer my more organized antique stores with pretty displays. This was a fun place to visit, but at times the floor creaked so much, we both thought we were going to fall through. 


See what I mean? I just wanted to organize everything! That swing in the front the owner made with a sewing machine she is selling inside! It was pretty neat!


The lighting was weird, but I thought this was so neat! It's a 1932 Chevy grill (if you can't see the sign) and I thought this would be adorable in a boys room. I could see why interior decorators would love places like this - a lot of the pieces are large and expensive. 


This is the one thing I considered. The door was a little jacked on the bottom, but we realized it could easily be fixed. I thought if I cleaned this up it would be adorable on display in my kitchen with pyrex sets sitting on and in it. I might have bought it if I had a way to get it back with us. It was that perfect sea foam/mint color. 


We went to go hit up an antique store and there was a sign up that said "went to deliver some chairs down the street, be back soon. Wayne." Isn't that just hilarious!? You know, just closing my business to deliver some customers some chairs. These people here crack me up! 

Since the antique store was closed, we went to a little gas station near by and they had a cooler full of glass bottle cokes. Of course I had to have one. I prefer coke from a fountain or a glass bottle. Amazing. We then went to the water and found this lawn with adirondack chairs just hanging. I didn't take a picture of what is in front of us, but it's the water and all the sail boats were out. It was a beautiful day! 


You can see the water a bit in this picture! I just can't get over these chairs just being here! They'd get jacked in California in 5 seconds! 


One of the houses! It's Labor Day weekend so a lot of people were at their vacation homes. Aren't these houses just too cute? 


We had a lot of fun! Although we didn't buy a single thing (rare for me) it was fun exploring! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting our little corner of paradise. We are glad you came and hope you'll come back to visit Oriental soon!---Bill Sage, Mayor

    ReplyDelete