Sunday, September 8, 2013

I'm not a witch at all - Chalkboard Tutorial

Chalkboards are everywhere right now, and seeing as how I have an obsessive personality, I've started creating them and writing on them in mass quantities. If you remember from this post my dear seester put me to work when I went out to visit my family earlier last month. I should actually thank her for forcing me because she sparked my crafting bug once again!

Anyways, I've been googling, researching like crazy how these people do their chalkboards, and I've learned a lot these past few days. I thought that these people were just coming up with their own fonts, and creating like crazy. I'm sure there are people that do, but I need something to go off of.

Want to create this?


Here is what I did!
1. I went to dafont.com
2. I searched for a font, I know one that I like to use - it's called "chalk hand lettering"
3. I searched and selected "CHL" and then typed the word that I wanted, in this case it was "good witch" and "bad witch"
4. I took a screen shot of each word, so I did a screen shot of "good" and one of "witch."
5. I opened a word document and inserted my screen shot into the document.
6. I enlarged the picture and printed out the document to use as a reference guide.

Unfortunately, I do not do the thing where you can shade the letters with chalk, and then press it against the board like in this tutorial. I just don't want to waste ink, and I'll be narcissistic for a hot minute, my hand writing isn't too shabby.


Before I left California my sister had a friend who was getting new windows, and had all these old babies just lying around. I took all of them. I believe there were 12. Well I'm down to 8 now from various other projects, and I gave a few away.


I taped off the window completely so that none of my chalkboard paint would seep through. This is the chalkboard spray paint I use. My husband doesn't use anything besides spray paint because apparently he mastered that technique. I'm not so good, but I think that since the chalkboard spray paint is already super thick, that it was easy to use.


I just sprayed lightly back and forth, for about 3 coats. It looks like it's uneven, but it's drying!


Here are the two templates I went with. Here are the templates if you want to use the same ones. 

I also use these markers from Michaels, but the thinner tipped ones. Also, if you make a mistake, fix it right then and there or else it's a little hard to erase. This is not a project that you can come back to later, you need to do it in one sitting.

I stuck it up on my mantel where it belongs halfway through to see if I liked it or not. I wasn't too sure how great of a job I was doing.


I finished and I actually enjoy it! I wish this wasn't a two paned window, but hey. It was free. What do you want, Gidgie? I'm enjoying it and looking at it right now. I'm already thinking of what to write for Thanksgiving and having a panic attack of having to erase it and recreate it next year!

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely love love love this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!! What if you spray painted the other side too and made it a reversible chalk board and you don't have to redo as much, ESP if you do one you never want to erase!!

    ReplyDelete