Monday, February 4, 2013

Says they're a Vegan. Eats nothing but Oreos and soy ice cream all day...

Here we go. 30 days of Vegan.

Can I do it? Will I do it? 

Will I eventually become so enraged over not having diary or meat products for 30 days that I'll eventually just crack, run to the nearest Dairy Queen, and go into a lactose coma??!? (BTW the Dairy Queen here is strategically placed directly NEXT to base housing. Well played Dairy Queen. Well played.)

We'll see if I make it. I am pretty determined, and I am so surprised by the amount of texts, phone calls, FB messages, and IG comments I've received about becoming a Vegan. I think a lot of people have the same view of Vegans that I did. I had this vision in my mind that all Vegans ate were leaves, and thought they were all psycho hippies. I realized what I was thinking was Vegan was actually a raw diet, so it's definitely been a little adventure figuring this whole thing out.

So why the hell did we decide to go from chowing down on bacon to straight Vegans? I've been a little more than grossed out at my eating habits over the past few years. For instance, I could mow through an entire loaf of French Bread covered and smothered in butter. Seriously...To me, eating Vegan is more of a way of forcing myself to eat healthier. Look for alternatives. I am a thin person. I understand this, but I won't be for the rest of my life if I continue to eat the way I do. For my husband, it's because he watched Vegucated, it's about these people who become Vegans for 6 weeks and they document their health throughout the whole documentary. My husband has been trying to get me to watch it, but I can't, and refuse, to watch anything showing animal abuse, which that documentary does. I've been warning him that he doesn't want me to watch it, because I'll go ape shit crazy. Release my dogs into the wild, throw my Louis Vuitton out the window, and refuse to wear leather and end up wearing those recycled yoga mat sandals for the rest of my life.

So, we're excited, and we're optimistic. Did I mention it's day 1? ;)

Here is some of the Vegan products I'm consuming...

Vegan grocery shopping 

More of that yummy salsa from my last post for the Superbowl Party

Todays Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Breakfast: Apples w/ organic crunchy whole peanut butter & raisins
Lunch: Whole wheat bagel w/avocado, salt n' peppa
Din Din: Whole wheat pizza crust, pizza sauce, vegan cheese and peppers
PS. That pizza was DELICIOUS

What I also learned is that there are different levels of Vegans. We are being realistic about everything. Am I never going to eat bacon for the rest of my life? Hell no. If I go to a BBQ will I say in my annoying California accent, "Um. I'm, like a Vegan, I can't, like, eat any of this." No. I'll shut my pie hole, and have a damn hot dog. I'm giving it a go, trying to make it to 30 days, will I continue after that? Who knows.

So, like my title, just because you're a Vegan doesn't mean you can't eat unhealthy bullshit... No meat or dairy, but I can eat Oreos? Potato Chips? French fries? So yes, I'm trying to eat healthy, but I also run everyday, and need plenty of protein, and love the occasion fatty snack. Maybe I'll end up like my girlfriend Sheila, "I was a vegetarian, then vegan, back to vegetarian, and now I'm a fatty omnomnomivore. I nom everything." ;)

1 comment:

  1. We eat vegetarian but went vegan for awhile and I plan to go back. It's not as hard as I thought in the beginning and there are SO MANY meatless alternatives that you won't really feel like you're missing out! Even my hard core meat eating husband eats most of my vegan things. The one thing I have a hard time letting go of is cheese, but I'm working on it. I have a TON of vegan recipes for things you would normally eat anyway (potato soup, tacos, lasagna, ect.) so if you want any of them just let me know! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete