Sunday, March 3, 2013

Hobby Lobby ain't got nothin' on this girl!

When I first found out I was moving to North Carolina, I was excited for crafting possibilities! In the south, they have Hobby Lobbys! Now, HL's are now slowly making their way out to California, but the nearest one to me was about an hour away when we still lived there.

So, we get our orders, I start googling everything that I love to see how close by it will be to our new house. And guess what I find out? There IS NO HOBBY LOBBY NEARBY. I was so sad. There wasn't even a Joanns, the nearest place that had fabric? Wallie World!! Which I hate and despise, and secretly sanitize my hands about 10 times when I am forced to go there. Fast forward to a few weeks later, and someone posted online that a Hobby Lobby was in fact opening near our new base. I was tap dancing on my table tops for weeks. Well, I found out about 3 months ago, and guess what?

Hobby Lobby opened last week!!!

If you've never been in a Hobby Lobby, try to think of it like if Michaels and Joanns had a threesome with Home Goods, and could produce offspring, that offspring would be Hobby Lobby. It has fabric, crafts, furniture, decor, etc. etc. It's seriously amazing, and seriously overwhelming. I forgot how hideous some of the stuff there can be. There is one aisle in particular that I've deemed "baby hooker" where everything is hot pink, zebra print, and feathery. Not cute.

Anyways, I went opening day, and bought a ton of stuff. I went up and down every aisle, and just liked to look around at what they had. One thing in particular, caught my eye. It was a piece of old wood that had some wrought iron decor mounted onto it. I seriously considered buying it for $100, but I thought, screw that, I can make that!

I wish I would have taken a picture of it, but it looked something like this:

Anyways, the husband came and found me just as I was pondering the metal decor, and I asked him if he thought that we could make something similar, and he said of course. That man is always up for a challenge, even a crafting challenge! So, we went through the metal aisle, and found one that we liked, and since it was their opening day sale, we got one 50% off and ended up spending an entire 7 dollars on this project!

On our way home, I was staring down the roads trying to find a good pallet. Weathered pallets are hard to find. Someone once told me they get theirs from the backs of stores, but those are just too new, too wood looking. So we are driving along the "freeway" here, and I see an abandoned field next to a church and scream for Guido to pull over.

We had hit the jackpot. There are old white picket fences, bricks, and various sizes of pallets that have been there for what seems like forever. We picked out an extra long one that I haven't seen before, usually they're pretty square, this was one totally rectangular. We grabbed it, and took off before the 5-0 showed up, because honestly, we have no idea whose property we were on.


We removed the pallets from their backing, and actually attached them to some leftover wood. To get the pallets off what originally holds them together, just hit them with a hammer against the opposite side. Usually they pop right off, this one was a little hard because it was seriously weathered.


We attached them to three different pieces of wood. Originally, I wanted to reuse the nails, but this wood was messed up, so we had to add some of our own screws into the new wood we had left over.


We hung up the pallet, and once we thought it looked level, we took it back down, and added the metal piece.

Finished Product

I am so happy with how it turned out. My house is already pretty much completely decorated, except for our master bedroom. No one goes in there but us, so there is literally nothing on the walls. This is the only thing on our walls right now. My mission is to spruce up that place! We have family visiting very soon, so I need to get my ass in gear!

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed my Hobby Lobby inspiration, not bad for only 7 dollas! 

1 comment:

  1. You are so flipping crafty! I love it. I wish David and I had more time to craft things. I am slowly counting down the days until we both are finished with school and can do fun projects together.

    ReplyDelete