Sunday, March 3, 2013

Oh, deer...

Frankly my deer, I don't give a damn.

Oh how I wish there was a button that said that on Facebook. I'd be clicking it like a mad woman. Anyways, before we moved, I threw all my old bathroom stuff away, except for the framed picture I had, because I figured it could be a good project, someday. Fast forward to 6 months later, and it was still taking up valuable real estate in my craft closet, so I took it out and decided to do something with it.

I woke up this morning, put on my big girl crafting panties, and made THIS!
**The inside part of this frame (so not including the border) is 11.5"x11.5 because it was framed art, not a picture frame. So take that into consideration when you're buying an empty frame for your deer.

Oh what's that IG friends? You want me to make you one? Hahahhha. NOT. Make it yourself, by following these lovely directions below.

What you need:
-1/2 Yard Fabric - My favorite fabric for pillows and painting is Duck, it feels like a rough canvas material
-Paint of your choice - I used acrylic paint from Wallie World
-Printer, Scissors, Tape, Paint Brushes, and Pencil (only use a pencil if you're doing a dark color, for lighter colors, use that color in a fine tipped sharpie)
-Frame - Hobby Lobby has open frames, and if you buy just one item, you can check out with their weekly 40% off coupon
-Staple Gun


Step One: Download, print off, and cut out this template from yours truly. 

Step Two: Attach the template to the canvas with Washi Tape, 
and trace the template.
Washi tape is sort of like painters tape, it comes off so easily. They have it in the office supply section of Target, but you can use any tape. 
I use Washi tape because I keep all my templates.

Step Three: Paint & put a piece of printer paper under the fabric so you don't end up with that lovely blue stain like I have on my coffee table from another project.
 Get yourself some good brushes. My favorite ones are the straight angled smaller ones, I use those for the edges, and a teeny one that I used for the antlers.

Step Four: Replace the paper underneath the deer with a clean new piece, 
and let the deer dry completely. 
Paint will seep through, and if you leave the same piece of paper underneath, it will stick and when you remove it you'll be able to see it through your fabric.

Step Five: Attach to the back of your frame with a staple gun, 
then cut off extra material. 
It's okay to pull it taut, I did! Also, don't worry about how it looks on the back, no one sees behind your frames!

Step Six: Hang and enjoy! 
Please comment about how crooked that "W" is so that my loving husband will finally see that it IS crooked and rehang it. He doesn't believe it's crooked. He thinks the letters are crooked!!

This craft took maybe 30 minutes. If you're a little woodland creature lover like myself, it would be a great craft for a rainy day.

Happy Sunday! : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment