Wednesday, March 27, 2013

DIY - Sugar Skull Ceramic Pot

I'm not going to lie...I saw this pin on Pinterest, and thought it was adorable. So I decided to make my own! It was actually fairly easy. I thought it was going to be a nightmare because I do not have a steady hand with a paintbrush, at all.

What you need:
-Ceramic Pot
-White Spray Paint & a clear topcoat
-Pencil
-Acrylic Paint and Brushes
-Plant and potting soil

I have a lot of this stuff already because I am a crafting hoarder, but if you wanted to make everything, you could go to Wallie World and probs pick up the whole deal for 10 bucks. Seriously. Depending on the amount of colors you want to use, I already had all those colors...

So...

Step One - Not Pictured:
-Spray paint your entire pot white, this took me a few days because I was in and out of the house, and my husband is a spray can nazi. He would only let me gently mist the thing, and it literally took DAYS to get the ceramic orangey color to not show up!

Step Two: 
-Draw your sugar skull with a pencil
-You'll notice I made some mistakes along the way, but I left them because I was going to cover them with black anyways
-The best thing about this project was that I could erase! I erased that damn mustache about 20 times before I got it the way I wanted.
-Also, if you don't feel like making up your own like I did, print one of these out and trace it onto your pot by pressing hard, but gently with a pencil



Step Three:
-Paint!
-I used the smallest brushes EVER for this project, and went slow. I think that's what helped make this project not look like shit. Of course, always start with the light colors first. Here I bounced from yellow to black because I was waiting for the yellow to dry before I added the red.
-I also used the back of a brush for all the dots. I did draw them so I knew where I wanted them, but I just simply dabbed the back of the brush into the paint, and went around the eyes, super easy, and it didn't glob up. Acrylic paint is the shit!


Step Four (Not Pictured)
-Clear coat, so that when you're watering your plant, your sugar skulls face doesn't melt off!
-Slap your plant in!

Step Five: Display
-And enjoy! : )


I might make some more, but I need to check myself, because I can get easily obsessed with something, and then go ape shit crazy and make like 12 for my house... Coughbuntingflagscough

1 comment:

  1. This beautiful collection of Sevilla Line, is perfect for the tabletop. We offer three different hand painted designs.Each design is includes warm, vibrant colors that add to any tabletop or kitchen.

    ReplyDelete