Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Pom Pom & Bunting Flag Craft

Even though I am sitting around the chaos of moving, nearly a full week after we have moved in, I took some time out of my day to make a craft. I don't know what it is about this house that is making me procrastinate decorating and organizing so much. I am a very organized person, but I just can't seem to find the time or want to sit and organize a linen closet! We need some furniture for this reading nook I am creating that is next to our living room, so I'm a little hesitant to hang anything because I don't want to mark up the walls, and then have to move decorations and have ugly holes exposed. Or maybe it's because this house has such an open floor plan, that if one thing is out of place, it makes me think the whole house is unorganized.

Anywho. Today I was dead set on doing a Valentine's Day craft! I don't know what the "rules" are on Valentine's Day decorating. Are you supposed to put up V-Day decor February 1st or in January, and then take it down after V-Day and put up the Saint Patty's Day decor? No idea... But I've had this bunting flag idea in my mind for a while. I'm not going to lie. A lot of the time, Pinterest inspires me, or let's be real, I can pretty much recreate anything off Pinterest. A true artist, or "crafty person" in my mind, is someone who can create from nothing. People who can pick up anything and make it into something beautiful. I'm not really usually that type of person, but I am proud to say that I actually came up with my own little bunting flag idea! : )

It all started with these pom poms... Remember this glass thing? It was sitting empty after I took those cute little reindeer out. I held on for as long as I could to those reindeer, because I loved them. I was seriously tempted to keep them out year round!


So much rustic, vintage decor and style is so IN right now. I have been seeing how to make pom poms on Pinterest for a while, and when I was shopping at the local Wally World (sidenote, in the south, the Wal-Marts are KICK ASS in the craft department, they even have FABRIC!) I saw some pink and red yarn and decided to give it a shot, annnddddd they are crazy easy to make!

Here is the tutorial I used. I was going to make my own, but why? If it ain't broke, don't fix it right? Pom Pom Tutorial

All you need is a fork and some yarn, and it's very easy to do. I will tell you that I did something a teeny bit different. I cut yarn the length of the fork, and then slipped it in the middle teeth, and THEN tied the yarn around the whole fork. It creates little tendrils from the poms that make it easier to tie on to things, like the bunting flag below. I found this easier than trying to tie the beginning and the end of the tail together. Make sense? If it doesn't let me know and I'll do my own tutorial. I literally made probably 100 pom poms, so I experimented with my own little technique.

Valentine's Day Bunting Flag

So there you have it! My bunting flag. I love bunting flags. I'm disgustingly obsessed. I'd have one in every room if it wasn't overkill. I am seriously considering making one for every holiday? Is that tack, tack, tacky or what? 

If you would like to make your own bunting flag I highly encourage you to do so! It's SO easy, and cheap. I think I'm going to make one for my nephews for their birthdays. Since I won't be at their birthdays this year :(, I think they'd like to have something with their names on it, specifically for them for their birthday. 

Pom poms can be used for so many different things...Here is what I'm thinking of doing with them...

Bookmarks!

Wrapping Presents

A rug!

If the husband thought that we were going to get pallet crazy with home decor, he should check himself, because we're about to get POM POM CRAY CRAY!!!

xoxoxox
Gidget

2 comments:

  1. The bookmarks are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do you make the bunting? its adorable and i'd love to make one but i don't know the materials used and i don't see it listed anywhere.

    ReplyDelete