Sunday, January 6, 2013

Unpacking & Exploring

We have been unpacking since Wednesday. It's crazy to think that we had THAT much stuff crammed into our Oceanside house. Dustin has been teasing me all week, he had three boxes to his name. Three boxes labeled "Dustin." I will say most of the crap in the garage IS his,  it just wasn't in a box, and it wasn't labeled, so there! He has a lot of stuff too!

We do have a lot of stuff, and we need even more. Houses here are just gigantic, it's so hard to get used to. I will say that it's so much easier to be organized in this home. I am having a fun time organizing each room, I think that is why it is taking us so long to get unpacked. I did the kitchen the first day that we got here, and thank god I did it first, because it took FOREVER. There are so many stupid little items that belong in a kitchen.

We have been going to so many different places to get different items, we need a lot more stuff in this new house. I am enjoying driving around and just looking at the trees. It's just such a different atmosphere than what I am used to. I am infatuated with the scenery. I can't get used to all the trees everywhere. We literally live in a forest. When I would google directions back home to my house, Siri would say we were in the "Croatan National Forest." How neat is that? I would love to go exploring in the woods, but today when I went out to my car, I heard a gunshot coming from the direction of the woods, so there goes that idea! We went and looked at some guns the other day, and my lord. People love their guns here. When we were talking to one guy about different rifles, someone came in looking for ammo. The shop we were in was sold out, so they told him to try Wal-Mart, and guess what? Wally World was out too! SERIOUSLY!? OUT OF AMMO? How does that even happen? Bizarre.

I am really enjoying it here, I am surprised at how much I am liking it. I guess everyone just set me up for the worst case possible scenario, but it's not a small town at all. There's a Starbucks, how hick can it get?


I love me a good antique flea market! There is one in Long Beach, on the third Sunday of every month, if you are ever in the area, you MUST check out. Anyways, I went to an antique store the last time I was here and asked someone if they had anything similar, and they told me there was a Newport Flea Market. So we decided to give it a shot on Saturday, and WHAT an experience. Flea Markets here, are NOT what they are in California. For example, the picture below is of a fine item that can be yours for only $25! If you're lucky, it might be there again this Saturday if you really have your heart set on it.


We also went to a little beach community in Atlantic Beach. It was so weird being that cold at the beach, plus all the stores are closed for the season. They all reopen towards the end of February, I think for spring break? You could totally tell that this was your typical southern tourist town. Dustin has told me about Myrtle Beach before, but it's hard to imagine, beach towns like this. We have touristy spots at beaches in California, but NOT like this, where the town actually shuts down. I can't wait to come back down in the summer and see the tourists! I love some good people watching!


Oh! And people here are obsessed with oysters, they're so obsessed with oysters that you can recycle the shells here! They have a place where you can bring your oysters to! Apparently it's an eating epidemic because there are shells everywhere. Our neighbors use them like mulch, this was in some random parking lot. Oysters aren't that good people!

We also went and explored Beaufort, North Carolina, and it's like your total Nicholas Sparks movie. It's so beautiful. It's from the early 1700s and a lot of the history is still there, and most of the houses have the year that they were built listed on them. They all faced the water, and the harbor. I would DIE to live in them. One was for sale, and it's crazy to me that you can get THIS for half a million dollars in North Carolina. I'd die to live in one of these houses.



We are starting to decorate and I'm having a hard time finding where to place things. Most of the stuff we own was bought specifically for our Oceanside home. Our Oceanside home had a funky little feel to it, and since it was a retro home, it looked good that way, so it's hard to not place things exactly how they were. I've been trying to switch my decor around, but it feels weird not being the same. I finally set up my sewing room, so I am hoping to make some things to help with my decorators block. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment