Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day Five - New Orleans - Cherry Point, North Carolina

I am sooooo happy to be blogging from a computer now since we are now at our hotel! Blogging from your phone is less than ideal, especially when I have diarrhea of the mouth, and just can't seem to stop talking/typing about everything!

That trip yesterday was quite a long one. We knew it was going to take a long time, and in hindsight, I wish I would have gotten up earlier and went around New Orleans earlier than I did. We decided to sleep in and get as much sleep as possible, or so we thought!

We got on the road at about 11:30, which wasn't bad, but we lost a hour when we finally crossed over into the east coast time zone.

We went through:
-The rest of Louisiana

Mississippi

Alabama

Georgia (There were ZERO lights anywhere!)



South Carolina



And into North Carolina!


I was a little bummed we planned it this way because it was so dark towards the end of our drive. I took a LOT of pictures with a real camera, that I'll add as well to my blog later. They are much better, but I wanted immediate satisfaction, so I used my iphone as well.

I was SO thankful I brought that random skull tank top with me to wear yesterday, because holy crap, it was SWELTERING in the south. It was so warm yesterday when we were driving I was so hot the whole way. I can't believe it's STILL humid there...in December??? Walking around NOLA was hot, but that was the only outfit I had that had a tank top, so I braved the tights and motorcycle boots!

The drive wasn't too bad. Our goal was to drive straight from NOLA into NC but the husband was worried that we would get about 4 hours away and be exhausted, so HE decided to book a hotel in NC for Weds night-Saturday morning and just wait until we got there in the wee hours of Wednesday morning and see how we go about getting a room that early in the morning...

We didn't see much in our drive. Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia/South Carolina all look the same to me, two lane freeways, excuse me HIGHWAYS, and trees on all sides. I kept point to water areas the whole way and saying to Dustin "There's gators there!" (I DON'T like alligators AT ALL!) and it became a joke the whole way. Just pointing at water and say "GATORS!" When we got into Georgia I told Dustin that I would start driving, and he could sleep so that he could drive later when I was tired. I took over and starting driving and he fell asleep right before Atlanta, and he picked the wrong time to fall asleep! Atlanta is confusing as all hell, their freeways have two names, what the hell is up with that? It would say something like "85EB/404E" I don't get that, in California you have ONE freeway with name, it's not the 101/405. We don't do that shit, it's too complicated. So people who are from Georgia can't talk about the California freeway systems!!

If we didn't have a GPS with us during this trip we would have been screwed. Although, I will say, I wish she was nicer. Our GPS is quite a bitch, "TURN AROUND, LEFT TURN!" she shouts at us all the time. Just once we want to hear her say, "Good job Elizabeth, that intersection was a hard one to navigate!" Luckily, I only got lost once when he was asleep and had to navigate Georgia alone. Georgia also has the most ridiculous speed limits. Thankfully, our GPS tells us what the speed limit is because the speed would go from 70 to 50 to 55 to 65 back up to 75, and they have cops everywhere. I saw at least 5 people get pulled over. That is SUCH bullshit, stupid speed traps!

I drove us from Georgia to South Carolina. Dustin told me before he fell asleep that he hoped we didn't end up being a scene from "Dumb & Dumber" when one of them falls asleep when the other is driving and they end up 500 miles in the wrong direction. I can't go the wrong way with a GPS! After we hit North Carolina, Dustin took over driving again. I think I only drove maybe 5 hours out of this whole trip! HA! He has to practice because when we come back I'm not driving a U-Haul! YEAH RIGHT!

When we crossed over into NC, I crawled into the back seat to sleep and I just couldn't. I envy those people sleeping on planes, in classrooms, anywhere that isn't a bed. I need to sleep IN a bed, on my stomach, with one arm propped up under the pillow and one leg out at an angle. Seriously. How do people sleep other places besides their bed.

We arrived in New Bern at 4:30am and went to the hotel we had booked for Wednesday night, we didn't have a hotel yet...And GUESS what, THEY DIDN'T HAVE A ROOM. Thanks Dustin for not letting me book in advance!!! Not only did they not have a room, neither did the other three hotels in the same parking lot. We had just driven at least 14 hours, it was nearly 5am at this point, and we had no where to sleep. I must have looked like I was going to cut the front desk clerk because she called around and found us somewhere to sleep that night. Bless her! So we went down the street, and threw ourselves into bed and had about 6 hours of sleep.

I am just glad that we made it here safely, there are SO many little white crosses on the roads out here, why don't these states invest in some street lights!?!? Now it's time to get used to this area and explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment