Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Day Four: Dallas - New Orleans (Part Two)

After witnessing an undercover sting, we were both feeling a little apprehensive about our decision to go to New Orleans. Luckily, we ventured off Bourbon Street and found a place offering ghost tours! Um, hell yeah I want a ghost tour!!! I am obsessed with ghosts and hauntings and spooky stories!

We were waiting outside of the shop for the tour guide to show up, and talked to these really nice homeless people. I know, we are weirdos, but they were playing music and they were so nice. When anyone would walk by with a musical instrument, they'd flag them down and they'd come over and play a song with them. It was definitely entertaining to watch them sing and talk amongst each other. One of them had a banjo with him, and I could tell it had a signature on it, I asked him who signed his banjo and he said the guy from RoboCop did. I thought that was hilarious, I wouldn't know who that guy was if he was standing in front of me.

We stood and watched them sing for a while, and one kid who they harassed until he came over with his guitar, played and he sang beautifully. He was singing a folk song, and folk music is probably my favorite, so it was great entertainment!

When our tour guide showed up, we were excited to get started! Our tour guide was a little guy from Biloxi, Mississippi, and his accent was so bad that we had to devote all of our attention to him just to follow his stories. Don't get me wrong, he was good, it was just hard for us to understand. Another couple on the tour was from Tennessee and they didn't seem to have a problem understanding him. Must have just been us Californians!

We saw SO many buildings and heard so many stories that it would take me forever to list them. But I did write notes on all the haunted locations we went to, so I'll screenshot it, and it will be on the bottom of this post so you can google them yourself and read about them if you're into that kind of thing too!

I'll briefly tell you about two of the locations we went to. We went last night, but I went back today for better pictures so it will be night and day pictures.

LaLaurie Mansion: You NEED to google this place. It's considered to be the most haunted house in all of New Orleans. It no longer is the same LaLaurie mansion since it burned down, but it's the same property. Actually, this is the house that Nicolas Cage owned and refused to sleep in...

The LaLauries were sick people. The husband was a doctor and there were rumors that they did experiments on slaves. For instance, our guide told us they broke all the bones in one slave and reset them at weird angles so that she crawled like a spider. (I'm definitely going to have nightmares for weeks picturing that.) Anyways, that's only a quarter of the stuff these sick bastards did. Now people say they can hear the slaves speaking a language from the "underworld." But google that mansion, it's creepy looking, and supposedly nothing but bad has ever come to anyone who has ever lived there. Look at Nic Cage, he's a hot mess!

Saint Louis Cathedral: On Good Friday a lonnggggg time ago someone started a fire in their home and ran to the cathedral to ring the bell as a warning. I guess on Good Friday they don't ring bells at churches, so everyone came out of their homes to see what was happening since the bells were ringing. The story is that some people hear the bell ringing on Good Friday and it's the ghost of the man that started the fire ringing it. The story was so-so, but that cathedral is gorgeous. Be sure to look at the pictures below, the back of the church is spooky with that statue lit up on the church!

We left earlier this morning and I was bummed that I didn't get to go into one cemetery. I love cemeteries, I could get a Starbucks and a good book and sit in one all day. I find them comforting and peaceful, I know, I am a weirdo. Anyways, there are several Saint Louis cemeteries, and when we were leaving the French Quarter, we saw one and I made Guido pull across 3 lanes of traffic to see it. It was definitely not in the nicest of areas, and seeing how we have all of our stuff in the jeep, he didn't want to leave our car on the street. (Yes, it was THAT sketchy!) So I told him to stay in the car, grabbed my camera and hopped out and ran across the street.

I know my mom and my family is probably shaking their heads right now, but there were plenty of tourists milling around as well so I wasn't scared. I am so glad that I went into that cemetery. This cemetery is just like one I've been to in Puerto Rico, they're all above ground because of the sea level, this was was very dilapidated, and I hate seeing the neat statues missing. I go to cemeteries enough to realize when a statue has been snatched for someone's garden, or who knows why people steal from a cemetery! I wish we had more time in NO, because I would have taken every cemetery tour possible, it was THAT neat! In the pictures below, the graves with the XXX on them are the voodoo graves. If you knock three times, write XXX on the grave, and then knock three times again, and leave a token, they will grant you a wish. So neat!!!

Enjoy the pictures!! I went a little picture crazy! Ohhhhh, the one house that I am standing in front of that's dark is Brad Pitt/Angelina's House.






















No comments:

Post a Comment